Balance Engineering History

History

Balance Engineering Founder - Charles F. KetteringBalance Engineering has a long and storied history.

Our company was originally established in 1923 as a specialized engineering department within Dayton Engineering Laboratories (Delco), under the leadership of General Motors Corporation Vice President Charles F. ("Boss") Kettering. In 1929 Delco moved to Detroit to be at the center of the automotive industry, and became the foundation for General Motors Research Corporation. Balance Engineering continued to operate as an engineering solutions group within GMR, becoming a stand-alone division of GM in 1973.


Along the way, Balance Engineering pioneered several industry ‘firsts’:

  • First dynamic balancer.
  • First automatic balancer.
  • First electronic balance instrumentation.
  • First microprocessor based balance instrumentation.


During the late 1980’s GM went through a re-structuring phase, divesting several divisions whose operations extended beyond the company’s core automotive focus. In 1987, Balance Engineering left the GM family to become a private corporation. Our then newly-independent company relocated to Troy, Michigan, where we remain to this day.

The next 25 years witnessed a very active and evolutionary period in our company history, with several changes in corporate affiliations taking place. In 1991, Balance Engineering became part of the Quality Measurement Systems group within Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a Fortune 200 company comprising more than 700 separate business units. Another business transition occurred in 2007 when Balance Engineering, along with selected Quality Measurement Systems business units, was purchased by American Industrial Partners (AIP), a private equity company, to form Micropoise Measurement Systems, LLC.

Our most recent business change transpired in late 2012, when AMETEK, Inc. acquired the Micropoise family of companies from AIP to become a major part of their EIG Process and Industrial Products group. AMETEK is a leading global manufacturer of electronic instruments and electromechanical devices, with over 13,700 colleagues working at more than 100 manufacturing facilities and more than 100 sales and service centers in the United States and around the world.

Throughout our history, one constant has remained above all others: our enduring commitment to our customers. We continue to provide innovative balancing solutions that lead the industry in quality, performance and cost-effectiveness along with unsurpassed service response and expertise.